We assure you, we want to provide you with the best possible care in a stress-free environment. If you have anxiety or hesitation about dental treatment, sedation options are available for you.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the use of sedative medications to help you relax during the dental procedures provided and performed.
Types of Sedation Available
- Nitrous Oxide – Also known as “laughing gas”, nitrous oxide is administered through a mask. You may feel relaxed, but you are conscious and able to communicate with us. Often, you can drive home after your procedure. The gas should not affect you once we remove the mask.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – is the use of an oral sedative, (pill). We prescribe the sedation medication that you will take. You will take this medication an hour prior to your appointment. You will need to have someone drive you to and from your appointment.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation – with IV sedation you are sedated more deeply. A driver to and from your appointment is a must.
Signs that Sedation is Right for Me:
- Dental Anxiety – If you feel anxious when you go to a dental appointment, sedation may help you relax throughout your procedure.
- Sensitivity – Are you particularly sensitive in your mouth? If so, sedation could help.
- Restlessness – For some of us, it is hard to sit still. Your dentist needs you to be still to prevent complications with your procedures. If you struggle in this area, we recommend sedation.
How Do I Get Sedation?
The first step is to call and let our team know that you are interested in sedation dentistry for your next appointment. If during your appointment you decide you would like some sedation, don’t hesitate to let us know.
A Comfortable and Anxiety-Free Appointment is Possible!
At Dental Specialties Northwest, we understand that visiting your dentist can feel intimidating. We want you to feel comfortable! Our sedation services are available to most of our patients. If you would like to discuss sedation options, contact us at 206-682-8200.