What is Periodontics?
Periodontics focuses on the tissue that supports your teeth. Dr. Sweeney is a periodontist, which means he specializes in preventing, identifying, and treating gum disease. When we talk about periodontics, we refer to treatments of the gums and other tissues surrounding the teeth.
- Scaling and Root Planing – Scaling and root planing, also called deep cleaning, is a nonsurgical treatment for periodontitis, also known as gum disease.
- Antibiotics and Antibacterial Mouthwash – We may recommend the use of antibiotics and antimicrobials to help combat infection and plaque (bacterial) buildup.
- Osseous Surgery – With periodontal disease one often develops periodontal pockets (pouches) around the teeth. With Osseous surgery, these pockets can be greatly reduced and even eliminated. This will facilitate a healthier periodontal environment (healthier gums). It also provides for easier access for daily hygiene procedures keeping active periodontal disease at bay.
- Tissue Grafting – We use tissue grafting to repair receding gum lines. To learn more about tissue grafting, feel free to contact our team at any time.
How Do I Know I Need Periodontal Treatment?
If you experience any of the following, schedule an appointment with our team at Dental Specialties Northwest.
- Redness and Swelling – Your gums appear red and swollen, and could be sensitive to the touch.
- Bleeding Gums – When brushing, flossing, or eating you may experience bleeding gums.
- Receding Gum Line – Receding gums can cause your teeth to look longer, because it exposes some of the tooth root.
- Loose Teeth – Loose teeth can be a sign that the bone is affected by bacteria, which leads to tooth loss.
Periodontics Can Save Your Smile!
Please know the dangers of untreated gum disease. It can cause lasting damage and even lost teeth. That’s why we aggressively treat gum disease Are you ready to talk to our periodontist? Call 206-682-8200 for your appointment today!