What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics focuses on creating beautiful straight teeth and a perfect bite. Most orthodontic treatment is for misaligned teeth or teeth that have irregular contact with other teeth.
Do I Need Orthodontic Treatment?
If you have any of the following, you may need orthodontic treatment:
- Overbite – Your upper jaw and teeth protrude over your lower jaw when your mouth is closed.
- Underbite – Your lower jaw and teeth protrude beyond your upper jaw when your mouth is closed.
- Crossbite – One or more of your teeth is closer to your cheek or tongue than the corresponding tooth or teeth.
- Open Bite – Your front teeth are unable to make physical contact when your jaw is closed.
- Spacing or Crowding – Your teeth are unevenly placed in the jaw.
If you deal with any of these conditions, please call us at 206-682-8200 to talk about your options.
- Traditional Braces – These braces are most often made of metal wires and brackets, with rubber bands holding the brackets together. Traditional braces remain the most popular form of orthodontic treatment and are highly effective.
- Invisalign® Clear Braces – A convenient alternative to traditional braces, Invisalign is made of transparent plastic and slides on and off your teeth as needed. These are a particularly good option for adults that desire a subtle orthodontics solution.
- Splints – These are used to help reposition your jaw in the event of a misalignment. They are worn on the top or bottom jaw and are sometimes used for TMD/TMJ treatment.
- Retainers – Retainers help keep your teeth from shifting back into their previous positions. A retainer is used mostly after you have completed treatment with your braces.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
- Improve Your Appearance – Your smile is the first thing most people notice. When your teeth are straight and properly aligned, your appearance improves. You may feel much more confident in your smile and enjoy added health benefits.
- Chew Easier and Speak More Clearly – Properly aligned teeth make it easier to eat and speak!
- Enjoy Easier-to-Clean Teeth – Straight teeth are easier to brush and floss. When your smile is straight, your oral hygiene efforts are more effective.
- Avoid Dental Damage – When your teeth are misaligned or crowded, they often make contact with other teeth. This can cause damage to otherwise healthy teeth or make misalignment issues worse.
- Alleviate Aches – A jaw that is misaligned can lead to headaches, face and neck discomfort, and TMJ disorder. Treatment can help relieve those symptoms and bring you the comfort you desire.
Am I Too Old For Orthodontics?
It is not too late to reap the benefits of straighter teeth. In fact, 20% of orthodontics patients are over the age of 18. Concerned about maintaining a professional appearance during treatment? Talk to us about Invisalign! Invisalign can give you a straight smile without brackets and bands.
Are You Ready for a Straighter Smile?
At Dental Specialties Northwest, we know that crooked or misaligned teeth affect more than your appearance—they affect your overall dental health. We take a proactive approach to your orthodontic treatment. Why put it off another moment? Call for your appointment today!