What are Dentures?
Dentures are prosthetic teeth set onto a plate that fits over your gums. Most dentures are removable, although it is possible to secure them with dental implants. At Dental Specialties Northwest, we focus on providing lasting, natural-looking dentures that are customized for an excellent fit.
Why Should I Get Dentures?
- Quality of Life – If you are missing many teeth, dentures will improve your quality of life. With dentures, you will be able to chew, speak, and smile with ease.
- Convenient – Dentures are often simple to clean because they can be removable. This also makes it easier for us to check the health of your gums during your regular visits.
- Long-Lasting – Most dentures last up to five to eight years. However, well-maintained dentures can last even longer.
- Can Be Secured – If you prefer permanent dentures, we can secure them using dental implants.
- Natural-Looking – Our dentures are created by skilled ceramists. They can look as natural as your original teeth, and sometimes even better.
Types of Dentures
- Full Dentures – Full dentures are used when you are missing an entire set of teeth. This could be the teeth on your top jaw, your lower jaw, or both.
- Partial Dentures – Partial dentures can be used when you are missing two or more teeth, but not your whole set. Partial dentures can slide on and off or be implant-secured, just like full dentures.
What are Dentures Made of?
The plate that holds your prosthetic teeth is typically made of metal and a gum-colored acrylic resin. The teeth of your dentures can be made with either acrylic or porcelain. Often, the material that best mimics your natural teeth is porcelain.
How Do I Get Dentures?
The first step is always a consultation. We will thoroughly examine your mouth, which may include x-rays, to determine if dentures are right for you. We may also need to take a mold or digital images of your mouth, which we can use to create your dentures. It generally takes two to three weeks to receive completed dentures. They are then fitted and checked for size.
It can take you a while to get accustomed to the feel of dentures, but you should be able to begin using them right away.
A Smile You Can Rely On
At Dental Specialties Northwest, we are passionate about helping patients achieve their best possible smile. Are you ready to discuss dentures? Great! Give us a call at 206-682-8200 and set your appointment today.